Steering Committee Members & Subcommittees

Steering Committee Members

  • Kami Chavis, Vice Provost
  • Dean Franco, Professor of English, Director of Humanities Institute
  • George Aldhizer III, Associate Professor of Accountancy
  • Derek Hicks, Associate Professor of Religion and Culture – Director, Center for Research, Engagement, and Collaboration in African American Life
  • Shonda Jones, Executive Director of Academic Programs at the School of Professional Studies
  • Rogan Kersh, Provost (Ex-Officio)
  • Brenda A. Latham-Sadler, Sr. Associate Dean, Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, Associate Professor, Family and Community Medicine, Wake Forest School of Medicine
  • Nina Lucas, Department Chair, Theatre & Dance, Professor of Dance
  • Keenon Mann, President of AWFUBA
  • Raisur Rahman, Associate Professor of History
  • Prince Rivers, Board of Trustees Member
  • Joseph Soares, Professor of Sociology
  • Mary Tribble, Senior Advisor for Engagement Strategies
  • José Villalba, Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion and Chief Diversity Officer
  • Corey D.B. Walker, Wake Forest Professor of the Humanities, Director, The Program in African American Studies
  • Tanya Zanish-Belcher, Director of Special Collections & Archives, Z. Smith Reynolds Libary


  • Built History/Original Campus: The charge is to identify and facilitate opportunities for research, teaching, and engagement around the early history as it relates to the original campus and the town of Wake Forest. The built landscape will provide context to encourage and support learning about the lives of the enslaved people who worked and lived on the campus, as well as the legacies of slavery that shaped the college prior to the move to Winston-Salem.
  • Scholarly Engagement (Lecture Series):  The charge is to develop a theme for the year, choose another “signature” speaker to invite, and think about alternative types of events (public conversations, panel discussions, intimate discussion groups) to engage the broader Wake Forest University Community.
  • Faculty/Student Engagement: The charge is to develop a proposal to encourage course development and sustainable curricular enhancements (i.e., new departments, programs, targeted hiring, a conference on course development around slavery and race).
  • Enhancing Traditions: The charge is to identify campus “traditions” (i.e., Founders Day), and to draft a proposal for suggested modifications to make these events more inclusive of the entire campus history and reflect diversity of community.


  • September 25, 2019

    Slavery, Race and Memory Meeting Minutes

    Reynolda 204

    September 25, 2019

    3:00-4:00 p.m.

    In Attendance: D. McIntosh, T. Parent, G. Parent, T. Pyatt, J. Soares, M. Tribble, J. Villalba, K. Chavis, D. Franco, M. Jallow, D. Hicks

    • Introduction of New Steering Committee Members

    Professor Derek Hicks

    Mariama Jallow ‘22

    • Retreat Debrief/Review Priorities for the Academic Year
    1. Chavis: How will we broaden the work of this committee.  What outcomes would we like to see come to fruition?  
    2. Hicks – The engagement of going to the original campus concretized the work for me:  The conversation and class trip has emerged from Dr. Hicks taking a trip to the original campus; What else can emerge from this work; Hicks has contacted a local poet to engage his class to have them think about the ways in which they can engage with the space and experience
    3. Franco – If you do things that are one-off, they will come and go; Walker consistently pushed the committee to think outside of the box; As we begin to lay out our priorities we should aim for transformation
    4. Tribble – We need to be cognitively aware that we are presenting this information as sustainable and scalable 
    5. Chavis – We can create a call for student research projects; mentioned URECA as a way for the project to partner with entities that are already functioning on campus – with the capacity to provide funding on campus; we must have actionable items to make this work scalable and sustainable –
    6. T. Parent – We have the capacity to have SRMP events on our annual academic calendar, voted on by faculty members
    7. Chavis – We need to be nimble with regards to who we ask to serve on sub-committee; suggests that a subset of the committee to take on the charge of faculty engagement committee; how can we be most effective and stay in our lane; Kami will send out an email
    8. Jallow – Students in student government have speculation as to why the Board of Trustees minutes are not accessible
    9. Kersh – There are groups of individuals that already exists within various departments, the college, and schools (CAP Committee) that can be a vital asset to the shaping and implementation of SRMP subject matter within various curricula; we may want to look into asset mapping

          Faculty Engagement Committee 

    Charge: is to develop a proposal to encourage course development and sustainable curricular enhancements (i.e., new departments, programs, targeted hiring, a conference on course development around slavery and race)

    1. Chavis – Forthcoming micro-grants will be posted to the SRMP website – in particular, the Campus-Wide Engagement Grant and Course Enhancement Grant: the SRMP Travel Grant will be placed on the Provost Office’s website – 

    McIntosh – Is there a rubric for evaluating the who and what type of projects will receive a grant?

    • Enhancing Traditions Committee 

    Charge: to identify campus “traditions” (i.e., Founders Day), and to draft a proposal for suggested modifications to make these events more inclusive of the entire campus history and reflect the diversity of the community.

    1. Hicks – Asked what are the ways in which we can infiltrate the fabric/traditions of our campus with regards to the work that is occurring in our academic space-enhancing our traditions – Edith Wyschogrod – The Ethics of Remembering; we are trying to extract the voices from a cataclysm 
    • Built History Committee 

    With regard to sub-committees – after being populated, a google doc will be placed on the SRMP website to capture individuals who have an interest in serving 

    • Updates

    Lecture/Symposia Committee (google doc)

    1. Chavis explained that there is now a google document that can be accessed via the SRMP drive to make suggestions for visiting lecturers.

    Campus Engagement Grant Application

    Course Enhancement Grant Application

    BOT Minutes – J. Villalba – BOT Minutes; There is a proposal that will eventually go to the committee on trustees – The question to be asked is “are these minutes accessible online; the second question is who is going to digitize these minutes”  – more and more requests are being made to access BOT minutes; The BOT meets again in January; Jose will keep the committee informed

    Hate Emails – J. Soares briefed the committee on the hate mails that were sent directly to the Sociology department as well as to the other centers on campus.  Additionally, he provided the committee with a timeline of events as to how the situation was handled.

  • October 21, 2019

    Slavery, Race and Memory Steering Committee Meeting Minutes

    October 21, 2019

    Budget Conference Room 23

    10:00am – 11:00am

    Devin Kilpatrick was welcomed and introduced as the newest member of the SRMP’s Steering Committee.   Currently, a graduate student in the Business school working on a Masters in Management, Devin also served on the Princeton & Slavery Project while in undergrad. 

    1. Universities Studying Slavery -Xavier University Conference Update (Sean McClure) 

    Sean attended the conference in Cincinnati, OH at both Xavier University as well as the University of Cincinnati and gave a presentation with information pertaining Georgetown University’s 272 Reforendum, Student Research from Banard College, as well as colleagues he met from Elon Univerisity, The Citadel, and Guilford College, while attending the conference.

    • SRMP Arthur Vining Grant Application Update (Tim Pyatt)

    We, unfortunately, were not invited to submit an application for the Arthur Vining Davis Foundation.  However, we need to vigorously need to pursue grant writing opportunities for the University. This particular application was in pursuit of $100,000 as a planning grant.  If you are aware of anything please pass it on to us.  

    • Refining Subcommittee Charges (see attached subcommittee worksheet)
    • Scholarly Engagement Subcommittee Report (Kami Chavis)

    The Provost Office Website now has SRMP grants on it. Several applications have been submitted.  

    o   Dr. David Ikard, November 14, Porter Byrum Welcome Center 5:30p

    o   Public Conversation re: Celebration of Black Women integrating the Residence Halls: On Friday, January 31, there will be a celebratory dinner to celebrate these women.  Saturday morning will be a continental breakfast and panel with these women followed by a panel capturing the modern experiences of Black Women on the Campus of Wake Forest University.     January 31 – February 1. SRMP will be a co-sponsor for this event and effort – as we broaden the scope of this project.  

    • Built History Subcommittee Report (Mary Tribble)

    Matt Capps report has received an introduction that contextualizes the work of SRMP 

    1. Other Business

    o   CER recently covered the current work of the SRMP.  Individuals from the Steering Committee were interviewed within the article that articulated the vision, scope, and purpose of this Project. 

    o   Updated Powerpoint/Talking Points

  • November 18, 2019

    Slavery, Race, and Memory Steering Committee Meeting Minutes

    November 18, 2019

    Reynolda Hall 204

    10:00 am – 11:00 am

    • Ethics of Student Research – Corey Walker 

    Dr. Walker offered reflections on the various writing projects aforementioned by Dean Franco (teaching initiatives/writing initiatives, new institutional reflection publications, and annual reports).

    • “How can we imagine things that are lost? What kind of legacy can we imagine despite loss and despite the absence of things that never were?  (Arthur Jafa) Wake Forest is a member of the Council on Undergraduate Research – How do we conduct undergraduate research that will be integrated into the core fabric of the institution; The Council on Undergraduate Research provides us with a broad template.  Ethics become a set of practices/responsibilities that informs how we conduct ourselves, research, reflective practices, and define exactly what this project is about. [Particular efforts to pursue] – develop a mission statement and creating an academically appropriate portfolio of work.
    • As scholars what types of knowledge and relationships do we engagement with – 

    what analytical, cultural, and institutional issues and struggles do we confront when critically addressing the questions of the SRMP at WFU? 

    • This particular project will allow us to cultivate a new climate of academic/ intellectual culture at WFU. How do we begin to think about historical issues? What sorts of frameworks and models do we need to think beyond the current situation?  Some of the key issues that we may be to confront such as the politics of knowledge re/production – [how do we deal with scholars without portfolios?] 
    • By interrogating Cultures of Collaboration, Authority of the Archives, Conflict of Obligations, and “Cultures of “Ownership” – how do we:
      • develop recuitize pedagogical techniques?
      • break down such institutionalized thinking? 
      • What does it mean when we send Black scholars into White communities and when White scholars go into Black communities? 
    • There is an ethical dimension of this work that must be pursued and understood. 

    Slavery, Race, and Memory Project Publication – Tim Pyatt & Kami Chavis

    Last week a group of SRMP SC Members met with Dr. Hatch who is interested in us publishing a publication that inter

    Framework – Intro by Tony Parent – Calvin Jones Plantation, Bill Leonard – Baptist Connection, Sally Wait – Role of Women, Kami and Tim – Postscript (ongoing work of SRMP), Should include an institutional apology as well – this will not replace an annual report – could be a multi-volume publication, The president would like for this to be published by May, many of the people asked to contribute have done so already. Expository Essays not necessarily academic articles – student and faculty work will be included

    Hicks – recently took his Af. Am. Religious Experience – to the original campus; students were impacted by the experience and; 

    Franco – (clarification) There have been several publications that have been made, exactly reports by committees, annual report from SRMP,  publication asked for by President Hatch, I believe that we should publish peer-reviewed work that circulates beyond the realm of the SRMP SC.  

    Chavis- several people have agreed in a preliminary  capacity

    • Committee Updates & Membership Discussion
    1. Built Histories – Mary Tribble
    2. Enhancing Traditions – Tim Pyatt
    3. Lecture & Symposium – Kami Chavis
    4. Faculty Engagement (Not yet convened) 
    • Other Business
  • December 16, 2019

    Slavery, Race and Memory Meeting Minutes

    December 16, 2019

    Reynolda 204

    10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.

    Committee Updates

    • Symposia/Lecture Series Committee: When the committee last met, Michelle Gillespie, Andrew Canady, and Kami were present; the idea had been raised by members of the steering committee that so many people are doing work related to our vision statement and that it would be a good idea for the individuals that we know about should engage with other to highlight the work that is happening within the University. The committee is inviting everyone to a half day Faculty Colloquia for people to share the work (research and instruction) they are doing around SRMP. Two dates are currently being polled to solidify a date.

    Rogan – Is this in any shape or form related to the Inclusive Pedagogy Conference coming April 22-23, 2020? (Kami) stated that she sees this being completely different.  This is really about the content of the courses and research around SRMP; It’s not duplicative – there is not much overlap.

    • Built History Committee – The news team is writing a story on Derek Hicks’ class visiting the original campus. The committee has created a proposal to repeat an internship at the original campus to further the work that has already started.  The idea is to have this work lead the way for an archeological project at the original campus.  Other class projects are coming up next spring.  Also, Mary noted that Andrew Canady will be teaching on campus in the Spring Semester? (Shonda) asked is there a way in which we are engaging in our original campus as well as our current campus? (Kami) stated that SRMP will have a committee that focuses on Naming – we will have our first meeting in January or February.  Kenneth Townsend, Devin, are some individuals who have been invited to be a part of this committee.  Devin has highlighted the possibility of us pursuing future opportunities.
    • Enhancing Traditions Committee – The committee has met twice now with a subset of committee members. The committee is currently looking for a student member as well as someone from OCCE.  They would like to see some of the work of SRMP being intertwined with all of the University’s major traditions.  After the first meeting, the thought emerged that the committee would consider Founders Day as a good place of engagement. There has been conversation around being more intentional with work/programming with regards to Founder’s Day.
    • Faculty/Student Engagement Committee – There is a SMRP group-list that allows individuals to join and be informed. We possibly begin marketing/engagement working groups to the group of individuals that are currently (Dean and Leann) will be chairing this group.
      • Currently, the Wake Fellow for the Provost’s Office is looking at courses in the college and Sean McClure identifying courses within the Professional Schools
      • The committee is developing a partnership with EUREKA, we will be able to have two SRMP Fellows potentially.
      • The question has emerged as to how do we diversify our faculty and curriculum?
      • This committee will be charged with exactly deciphering what would be necessary to pursue the formulating of a SRMP postdoctoral program. – Faculty sent a letter to Rogan, Kami, Michelle, and Jose with thoughts surrounding a postdoc

    A myriad of questions pertaining to this committee emerged after Dean’s committee report as follows –

    (Rogan) With Interdisciplinary, Team teaching, what would happen if we had a prerequisite of working across disciplines with regard to the Project? (Hicks) The answers that we are trying to answer are not emerging out of 1 discipline.  (Kami) Course Development Grants have yet to be created because the call should be cultivated by faculty (HIcks) Could a community intellectual (Kami) What are the impediments of working across Universities and disciplines?

    Other Business

    • Universities Studying Slavery Business Meeting at the University of Virginia on March 5-6, 2020

    February 8, 2020, Black Law Student Association Banquet

  • January 17, 2020

    Slavery, Race, and Memory Project Meeting Minutes

    January 17, 2020

    Reynolda 204

    11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.

    Assoc. Provost Chavis welcomed everyone back.  Often times people have questions about what is transpiring with the project – what can we say that SRMP being is doing?  Anything that we are doing can be seen on the website.  Recently, a SRMP presentation was given to update the President’s Commission Members on what we have been doing.

    1. Committee Updates
    • Faculty/Student Engagement Subcommittee (Dean Franco)
      • Course Inventory: Dean has send out an email to all department chairs to ask about their schools/departments –
      • African-American Studies Program Proposal – has set up a meeting with the Dean of the College and others to discuss what the best way to pursue and craft a proposal for the College – Dean had a long confirmation about Af. Am. Studies; Particular members of the Steering Committee currently serve on subcommittees with SRMP and the President’s Commission and it has been recommended that they be utilized as a resource
      • URECA Collaboration –a meeting has been set up with the Director to investigate ways in which we can collaborate
      • The humanities institute gives a stipend to faculty for a summer stipend for individuals interested in developing capacity with the archives – We will be utilizing that stipend to further SRMP research; It was suggested that the faculty engagement committee should make recommendations as to how faculty members can be better supported in utilizing the archives
    • Symposia/Lecture Series Subcommittee (Kami Chavis)
      • Faculty Colloquium/Tentative Date is 2/25 – The ideas is for us to present a casual opportunity; In the coming two weeks steering committee will be notified of more information as to how the day will transpire. Staff members from the Wake Forest Museum and ZSR
      • Spring Lecture Series – An invitation to Dr. Dana Matthew will be extended – Just Medicine: How to Cure Racial Inequities from UVA; thoughts have been around at the downtown location with possibly inviting bookmarks to participate in a book signing.
    • Exploration of Naming Opportunities Subcommittee (Kami Chavis)
      • The charge will be forthcoming in the next week. If anyone would like to from the steering committee would like to join, please contact Kami.
    • Built History Subcommittee (Mary Tribble) The article published in Diverse in Higher Education featured Derek Hicks’ classes trip to the original campus.
      • Archaeological Survey – Several individuals from WFU went and met with the leaders of SEBTS; Have received permission to participate in a ground penetrating radar – (non-evasive) test. The idea is to do this work to have a better understanding of the plantation and original built history.  In doing so we may be able to locate the placement of the enslaved workers who were killed while building the original campus.  There is also a conversation of possibility of community building with SEBTS, the broader Wake Forest, NC community members, and WFU; Mary and her team are in the process of planning a trip to Mt. Pillar to speak with their Head of Archaeology as to discover best
    1. Enhancing Traditions Subcommittee (Tim Pyatt)
      1. Founders’ Day Update – The committee has met twice; several individuals from the Steering Committee have met with individuals about a revised agenda for Founder’s Day – an iterative process; The enhancing traditions subcommittee would like to function as the body of individuals to; would like to format with a welcome from President hatch, 1 Senior Oration, New elements being – the University Chaplain; inviting of individuals from the Indigenous Land Program from the Fall semester, A Keynote Address by Jonathan Walton, recognitions, and members of the Divinity School Choir to sing the Alma Mater – This will now be referred to as University Convocation.  A conversation emerged from the question as to why the name is being changed. It was explained that the event has become less attractive; Founder’s Day this year will occur February 20, 2020 – Several Steering Committee members shared their concern that from previous conversations it sounded as though we may be diverging from a plan that included WFU’s institutional apology about its dealings with slavery as well as a commemorative event recalling WFU’s student support of WSSU students sit-ins at Woolworth’s at the Founder’s Day Event; A recommendation could be that we have more inclusivity in the planning of Founder’s Day
    2. Update re: Institutional Reflections on Wake Forest and Its Relationship with Slavery (Kami Chavis and Tim Pyatt)
    • Drafts were due 1/15
    • Other Business
      • Board of Trustee Minutes (José Villalba) – How many years of minutes will be released and how will it be made accessible? After this information has been made available it will be shared with the Steering Committee.
      • Funding Opportunities/Grant Prospects (Tim Pyatt) – The development officer for the library is now working with SRMP; with the blessing of the Mellon Foundation, SRMP will pursue opportunities for funding.
  • February 28, 2020

    Slavery, Race, and Memory Project Meeting Minutes

    February 28, 2020

    Reynolda 204

    1:00 p.m.-2:00 p.m.

    1. Committee Updates
    • Faculty/Student Engagement Subcommittee (Dean Franco)

    Curricular reform has emerged as a topic within the college.  Members of CAP have been approached to join the Faculty/Student Engagement Committee, and they have declined membership at this point.  The chairperson of the CAP committee has been contacted about the possibility of joining the committee.  It was recommended that at our next steering committee meeting that the steering committee should develop a perspective on curricular changes with relationship to anti-racism, diversity, and other non-existent.  An African American Studies Program is being and has been discussed.  The Deans office and the SRMP. A Post-doctoral program has continually be processed through various questions.  The RECAAL center was mentioned as being positioned to take advantage of a post-doctoral program emerging. UREKA now has more substantial ways to fund research in the middle of a semester.  After a conversation with UREKA the next step is to cultivate a funding structure that will be ran by UREKA and sponsored by SRMP.  Two-three draft recommendations should begin to be cultivated by each sub-committee over the next two months.  What we have accomplished, what we will like to continue doing, and things we need to pursue in the future.

    • Enhancing Traditions Subcommittee (Tim Pyatt)

    Commemoration for the Enslaved: Remember with Us, will occur on April 30 at 5:30pm.  Our intent will be to read the newly discovered enslaved individuals’ names as well as the names of the individuals already known.  The committee is additionally looking toward the future to potentially acknowledge and commemorate the work of individuals who worked on the campus of WFU during the civil rights movement.  A majority of positive feedback emerged from this year’s Founder’s Day.  However, there were some negative comments as well.

    • Symposia/Lecture Series Subcommittee (Kami Chavis)

    Dr. Dayna Matthew will be the next lecture series speaker on April 28, 2020 at Bowman Gray School of Medicine at 5:30p-7:30p.  (Partner with bookstore and or Bookmark) Robert W. Lee, a distant relative of Robert E. Lee, has emerged as a potential lecturer on April 20, 2020.

    • Exploration of Naming Opportunities Subcommittee (Kami Chavis)

    If you would like to be a member of the emerging task force please email Kami.  1-2 Members of the Board of Trustees will be invited to join this taskforce.  The secretary of the Board of Trustees will be looking into the verbiage that has transpired.  This taskforce will be meeting this semester prior to the end of the semester.  The drafting and heavy lifting will not occur until the fall semester.

    Subcommittee on Commemoration and Naming was a final recommendation given as the name.

    • Built History Subcommittee (Mary Tribble)

    The internship job description was shared with the Steering Committee.  It will be posted on the SRMP website.  WFU has received permission from SEBTS to perform non-evasive excavation on the Original Campus Grounds.  Several individuals travel to Montpelier to glean from their work who have engaged with the descendent community of the enslaved.  They have an outward facing archeological site that is exceptionally active.  It was noted that we need to tread very carefully as to how we interact with any form of descendants.  There will be eventually be a subcommittee convened to look into best practices as to how we begin to look into the ways in which the steering committee will move forward.

    2. Update re: Institutional Reflections on Wake Forest and Its Relationship with Slavery (Kami Chavis and Tim Pyatt)

    The table of contents has been assembled and will be distributed to the Steering Committee.

    • Other Business

    A list of grants awarded to date has been emailed to the Steering Committee Members.

  • March 30, 2020

    Slavery, Race, and Memory Project Meeting Agenda

    March 30, 2020

    Meeting Held Via WebEx

    3:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.

    1. USS Conference Report
    2. Committee Updates
    • Faculty/Student Engagement Subcommittee

    Emily Lawson has been invited to join the Faculty/Student Engagement Subcommittee who serves as the chairperson of C.A.P.; Dean has convened with others to begin conversations with regard to African American Studies.  UREKA (Undergraduate Research Report) has funding that we could partner with an existing program for students to study/research slavery with a professor.

    • Enhancing Traditions Subcommittee

    Guilford College has reached out to WFU to co-sponsor the USS Meeting this fall October 1 – October 3, with an opening evening/lecture at the International Civil Rights Museum.  As Co-sponsors, Guilford College has expressed interest in WFU faculty/staff serving on programming committees in addition to splitting the cost of the opening night activities (circa $25,000).  The committee agreed that it would like to move forward with co-sponsorship.

    • Symposia/Lecture Series Subcommittee (Kami Chavis)

    Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 Virus, our Spring lecture has been postponed until a later date, possibly in the Fall of 2020.

    • Built History Subcommittee

    The Wake Forest Museum in Wake Forest, NC is currently closed due to the COVID-19 Virus.  An internship with regard to SRMP’s work is currently still up in the air as to whether or not it can or will happen.  Hopes of engagement with the broader Wake Forest, NC community is still an ambition of the Built History committee.

    • Exploration of Naming Opportunities Subcommittee

    Prior to the COVID-19 Virus, this committee was on the cusp of convening.  There have already been numerous reports on how other Universities are approaching this work.   This particular committee has been postponed convening in the fall of 2020.

    • Update re: Institutional Reflections on Wake Forest and Its Relationship with Slavery

    A contract with Elephant in the Room had been signed.  95%+ of the essays have been written as well as edited by Corey Walker at this time.  A digital release has been suggested along with a digital panel to also commemorate the selling of the enslaved, with a print version being released in the Fall.

    3. Other Business

    The commemorative event originally scheduled to take place at the end of April is still being looked into with the potential of a virtual commemoration occurring in addition to a panel for the publication that is forthcoming.

    Currently, SRMP is planning to create a report of the activities each of our subcommittees and the Project has accomplished this academic year.  In addition to this report, each committee chair/committee is being asked to compile a list of recommendations that are related to the work that has been done and the work that is to come.

  • April 27, 2020

    Slavery, Race, and Memory Project Meeting Minutes

    April 27, 2020

    Via WebEx

    3:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.

    Committee Updates

    1. Enhancing Traditions Subcommittee (Tim Pyatt)

    • May 7 Commemoration: Tony Parent will provide an introduction; 61 names of the enslaved have been identified to be read by 9 individuals affiliated with the University. A film student has agreed to put the information together. Sean McClure will provide a spiritual/hymn with images from Tonya Zanish-Belcher for individuals to reflect upon at the end of the video.

    2. Faculty/Student Engagement Subcommittee (Dean Franco)

    • Derek Hicks and Corey Walker are currently working on a virtual opportunity for Af. Am. Chairs from various institutions to come together to share their wisdom and insight. The event will occur in mid to late May.  More information is forthcoming.  Further discussions will occur with regard to EUREKA/SRMP grants happening over the summer between Kami Chavis and Dean Franco.

    3. Symposia/Lecture Series Subcommittee (Kami Chavis and Tim Pyatt)

    • USS Conference with Guilford College: Guilford College has asked WFU to co-sponsor the USS Conference for October 1-3, 2020. As planning continues to move forward, the conference is being considering becoming virtual at this time.

    4. Built History Subcommittee (Mary Tribble)

    • An archeological exploration project has been moving forward throughout this Spring Semester. Sarah Soleim is in the final stages of finishing a virtual walking tour of the original campus that functions as a general overview of what the original campus looked like.  The museum has National Humanities and Digital Library – will be a way for K-12 schools to be engaged with the research of the museum.

    5. Update re: Into Institutional Reflections on Wake Forest and Its Relationship with Slavery (Kami Chavis and Tim Pyatt)

    • The physical publication has ben delayed. However, a digital publication has been copyedited.  By the end of this week, the first concept will be forthcoming.  The publication should be distributed sometime during the month of May.

    6. Other Business

    • May 7, 2019 SRMP was announced. In the last year, we have been able to do several concrete things.  Moving forward, it is important that we make known the activities that have transpired as well as those things to come.  With that in mind, each committee is being to ask recommendations for moving forward in light of the work that has transpired thus far by memorializing what has happened.  Given what has been done, what has not, and moving forward, what we can do is the central focus of our final report.
  • May 7, 2020

    Slavery, Race, and Memory Project

    Steering Committee Meeting Agenda

    May 7, 2020

    Via WebEx

    2:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.

    1. Publication/Commemoration

    Corey Walker gave a presentation on the current status of the publication.  Reflections on the History of Wake Forest and ends with Dr. Jonathan Walton’s speech from convocation.  This particular publication will live beyond this academic year.  An electronic publication will emerge in May of 2020.  The publication will be placed on the SRMP webpage.  However, considerations are being made around a Media release, an event release is being scheduled for a potential reflection on the publication.  There will be public programming scheduled for the Fall of 2020 with regard to a physical publication.

    A question was raised as to what we want people to “do” with this publication.  It was stated that we should consider creating programming/activities that allow individuals to engage with this work beyond a panel.

    It has been highly recommended and decided that we will postpone the virtual commemoration.  There was a concern that the execution would appear rushed.  Therefore, the commemoration will more than likely be released with the publication in the Fall of 2020.

    2. Preparing/Framing the Annual Report

    At some point between now and August, it was noted that each committee needs to touch basis with one another to establish what their respective committees’ priorities are moving forward with October being the goal for distribution of the Annual Report.

    The Annual Report Framework was described in 7 areas:

    1. Overview of the Slavery, Race, and Memory Project
    2. Members
    3. Narrative Overview of 2019-2020
    4. Activities and Events
    5. Project Committees – Key things, issues, priorities; the top 3-5 main areas of focus will provide a plan of action/diagram of recommendations moving forward
      • Narrative summary of activities
      • Priorities for future work
    6. Recommendations – The recommendations should speak to not on the focus areas but the areas of concern as well.
      • Suggestions/Activities to realize them
    7. Conclusion

    3. Other Business

  • September 21, 2020

    Slavery, Race, and Memory Project

    Steering Committee Meeting Agenda

    September 21, 2020

    Via Zoom

    I. Welcome

    II. 2019-2020 Annual Report Update/Review Process: Currently, details are being added to the report. The report will include committee reports as well as recommendations from each committee.

    III. Strategic Planning for AY 2020-2021

    Enhancing Traditions: Tim Pyatt reported on Founders Day being a part of the committee’s agenda for the academic year.  The committee would like to continue with the commemoration efforts in the future and begin looking beyond the Antebellum period to look into programming that focuses on the impact of WFU moving from Wake Forest, NC to Winston-Salem as well as research and work around the 5 Row Community.

    Lecture/Symposium: Kami Chavis reported that the SRMP Lecture Series will occur/continue in the Spring.  Shortly the committee will begin planning the 2nd Annual Faculty Colloquium this fall to occur in the Spring. Moving forward it would be helpful for us to develop a theme for the Academic year that will allow SRMP to streamline a concept for programming and work.

    Faculty Engagement: Corey D.B. Walker will become the chair of the Faculty Engagement Committee.  Rod Ferguson will be coming to discuss the future and path of African American Studies within the University. He has been asked to think along with SRMP, where our institution is and the potential and possibilities for African American Studies in the future.

    IV. Upcoming SRMP Activities/Programs for AY 2020-2021 Include:

    • Representation Matters: September 30, 2020
    • USS Virtual Webinar: October 1, 2020
    • Robert W. Lee Lecture: October 7, 2020
    • Rod Ferguson: October 20, 2020
    • Faculty Colloquium: Spring 2021

    V. Other Business

    • University Naming Committee Update
    • 2020-2021 SRMP Meeting Schedule
    • Committee Membership – Chairs were encouraged to recruit new members for sub-committees as the academic year unfolds, the newest committee being formed is the Student Engagement Committee
    • President’s Commission on Race, Equity, and Community: Report was submitted and accepted by President Hatch.  Working Groups are being formulated to take the 20 recommendations created by the President’s Commission to operationalize and put into action throughout the institution.  Updates from the Working Groups will be able to be found on
  • November 2, 2020

    Slavery, Race, and Memory Project

    Steering Committee Meeting Agenda

    November 2, 2020

    Via Zoom

    I. Welcome 

    II. Universities Studying Slavery Conference Recap

    WFU in addition to Guilford College, Salem College, NC A&T, and Olde Salem hosted – Brown University is reissuing their Slavery and Justice Report and utilizing it as required reading for the incoming class of 2024.  In Spring 2022 WFU in addition to Guilford College, Salem College, & NC A&T will host the USS Symposium.  

    III. Committee Reports – Committee Priorities/Goals for 20-21 AY

    • Student Engagement

    The committee met towards the end of September and focused on how to boost student engagement.  The question was raised as to how can we get students engaged and aware of the work being done by SRMP.  The following ideas emerged in the committee’s last meeting: 

    -A Student SRMP Town Hall 

    -Invoking collaboration within the Graduate Schools 

    -Partnering with Student Teachers in the Education Department

    -Collaborating with Graduate Consulting Projects in the Business School

    -Co-Curricular Efforts/collaboration with program coordinators

    -SRMP Student Forum – Where students can present their research, receive feedback from one another as well as professors
    -URECA: SRMP has several student/faculty research grants that are being offered. Funding is also available for Summer Research Grants 

    • Enhancing Traditions: 

    Building on the success from last year to the committee seeks to have more inclusive and diverse programming with regard to traditional WFU Programs. A commemoration of the Enslaved is still an event that the committee would like to prioritize in the future.  Due to Covid 19, this year’s commemoration for the enslaved was postponed in Spring 2020. Lastly, the committee seeks to emphasize and get more programming/research with emphasis on the 5-row community – collaborating with the Lecture/Symposia Committee as well as working with the Hidden Town Project.

    • Lecture/Symposium

    Packaging and Naming an Annual Lecture Series is pertinent to the future of Lectures from SRMP.  The Committee discussed the expansion of the Annual Colloquium becoming potentially a multi-day event as well as the potential for SRMP Spring Lecture to take place next semester.  

    • Built History:

    The committee met and discussed the Digitizing of the Wake Forest Historical Museum’s collection, items from local churches, and possibly build/expand the virtual campus tour to be linked to link the original campus to the Reynolda Campus.  The committee is also interested in meeting with Derek Hicks and Corey D.B. Walker to provide ways to collaborate with their prospective programs and efforts

    • Faculty Engagement

    The focus of the Faculty Engagement Committee will be Course and Curricular Design for the 20-21 AY.   The Committee aspires to collaborate with the Center for the Advancement of Teaching; The question was posed – how do you redesign not only courses but the curriculum as a whole for specific degrees?

    IV. Other Business

    • University Naming Committee Update
      The gilding principles subcommittee has been meeting for several months that has adopted such principles that will help the University examine how the Community’s values are upheld.  A process has now been put in place to not only take down a name but to replace it as well.  
    • Upcoming programs
      • SRMP Publication Panel Webinar – Nov. 19, 2020, 6:00 – 7:30pm
  • December 9, 2020

    Slavery, Race, and Memory

    Meeting Minutes

    December 9, 2020

    4:00pm – 5:00pm via Zoom

     I. Welcome

     II. Committee Reports

    • Enhancing Traditions: Tim Pyatt

    Give broad representation during a potential virtual commemoration of the enslaved, Also there is a desire to do more work/research/ around the 5 Row community 

    • Lecture/Symposium: Kami Chavis

    The Law School Sager Speaker Series be a SRMP Co-Sponsored event on February 25.  This year’s guest lecturer will be Kristen Clarke, Executive Director, Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.

    • Built History: Mary Tribble

    A Sponsored Research Internship will happen as early as January 2021. The internship will focus on research from individuals that were with the Calvin Jones Plantation up until the 21st Century – Open until January 

    • Faculty Engagement: Corey D.B. Walker  

    The Faculty Engagement Committee had a meeting on Nov. 11, where committee members reviewed the Annual Report, as well as discussed a Course Redesign Workshop to be co-sponsored with the Center for the Advancement of Teaching entitled “In the Wake – – Teaching slavery at WFU.”  Additionally, the committee discussed the idea of a Post Doctoral Opportunity similar to that of the University of Maryland’s CLIR/DLF Postdoctoral Fellow in Data Curation for African American and African Studies. 

    • Student Engagement: Devin Kilpatrick

    The committee was not able to meet prior to the Steering Committee meeting due to numerous schedule conflicts.  However, committee members have been sharing information with their various networks within the University with regard to the research grant opportunities as well as the ongoing work of SRMP.  

    III. Annual Report Update – An update was given by Kami and Tim that the Annual Report is approaching its final stages of completion.  Walter Jackson has been working on finalizing the report. 

    IV. Colloquium Planning Session – Steering Committee members collaborated with one another on details pertaining to the upcoming Annual SRMP Colloquium

  • January 21, 2021

    Slavery, Race, and Memory Steering Committee

    Meeting Minutes

    January 27, 2021

    4:00pm – 5:00pm via Zoom

    I. SRMP Annual Colloquium

    Planning for the Annual Colloquium is progressively moving forward. Currently, we are looking at a two-day event with two Keynotes and three-panel discussions.  More details will be provided as time transpires.  We are awaiting confirmation from Dr. Dayna Matthew to be one of our Keynote Speakers.  Gigi Parent will give a keynote address on Five Row on the final evening of the Colloquium.  

    II. Committee Updates 

    • Built Histories – Mary Tribble

    The committee will fund a research intern to study the Genealogy of enslaved Af. Americans on the Original Campus – to tell those stories and include those in our storytelling and interpretation; Kate Pearson will be the Intern – We will feature Kate in our upcoming Newsletter

    • Enhancing Traditions – Tim Pyatt
    1. Virtual Founder’s Day will be held on Feb. 18 – Racial Equity and Progress; a conversation with Jose and Erica, moderated by Miles Middleton, end with a benediction from Dean Walton
    2. A presentation about Five Row – which will occur as a part of the Annual SRMP Colloquium
    3. Commemoration of the Enslaved: We want to hold this event in 2021 as a virtual or socially distanced event. May 7th is the last day of classes; 5 pm start proposed. Program outline would include:
      1. Speaker to give context and share our history
      2. Reading of the names
        1. Would like broad representation here — students, staff, faculty, community, alums, and trustees
      3. Chapel Bells — whether asynchronous or live, we would love to have the Chapel Bells ring for each name plus an extra ring for those whose names we do not know
    • Student Engagement – Devin Kilpatrick & Mariama Jallow
      1. Discussed ways to get students engaged
        1. Reached out to potentially interested students – to join the committee; found 3 students; undergraduates
        2. Kami recommended that we should think about having students on subcommittees; adding at least 1 student to each
    • Lecture & Symposium – Kami Chavis
      1. Dana Matthew’s book Just Medicine will be an incredible discussion piece for the Annual SRMP Colloquium
    • Faculty Engagement Corey D.B. Walker
      1. In The Wake – Teaching Slavery in the University to happen in May
      2. The Challenge of Blackness  by Bennett and how it challenges Wake Forest to be discussed at upcoming event

    III. Other Business

    • Sign-up for April 15-16, 2021 USS Symposium hosted by Georgetown
    • Spring 2022 USS Symposium update – Tim
    • Project Wake and SRMP – Jose
      1. Piloting an SRMP FYE experience with scaffolding throughout the academic year (with forethought) would be very tremendous
        1. A partnership with ProjectWake could emerge with SRMP to have To Stand With and For Humanity as a reading option
      2. SRMP Recommended reading list – Writing 111
  • February 22, 2021

    Slavery, Race, and Memory Steering Committee

    Meeting Minutes

    February 22, 2021

    I. SRMP Annual Colloquium Update

    II. Committee Updates 

    • Built Histories – Mary Tribble

    Black History Month Event –

    • Enhancing Traditions – Tim Pyatt
      1. Five Row talk, March 29 – a goal to bring more of our work into the modern day;
      2. Commemoration of the Enslaved, May 7 – will be a hybrid event; hopefully to gather in both virtually and outdoors
    • Student Engagement – Devin Kilpatrick & Mariama Jallow 
    1. Discussed ways in which students can gather information
    2. Stressed how we value the student’s input
    3. URECA-X Grants have began to progress (4 have been awarded thus far for the Spring Semester) – which is a great way to engage student in the academic work
    • Lecture & Symposium – Kami Chavis
    1. The Annual Colloquium is the primary focus for the Lecture & Symposium Committee as of now.  The committee recently met to discuss details and logistics. 
    • Faculty Engagement – Corey D.B. Walker

    The committee has begun planning the Faculty Re-design effort; In the Wake; Slavery at Wake Forest University inspired by the monograph of Christan Sharpe; will occur after graduation to be held later in May. 

    III. Other Business

    1. Sign-up for April 15-16, 2021 USS Symposium hosted by Georgetown
    2. Spring 2022 USS Symposium update – – currently in the ideation state; working on 
  • March 24, 2021

    Slavery, Race, and Memory Steering Committee Meeting Agenda

    March 24, 2021

    I. SRMP Annual Colloquium

    • Publicity for the Colloquium has been shared through various University Media platforms such as Inside WFU and Twitter.  Logistically, the Colloquium appears to be shaping up to be well attended.

    II. Committee Updates 

    • Built Histories – The Built Histories Committee shared information on the new intern for the WF Museum, the research that they have started thus far this semester as well as plans for moving forward.  
    • Enhancing Traditions – The Enhancing Traditions Committee, reiterated that our very own Steering Committee Member Gigi Parent will be giving a Keynote Lecture at Annual Colloquium on March 29.  Additionally, the committee has met to plan the May 7 Commemoration of the Enslaved which will include a collaborative/virtual musical selection with students from WSSU and WFU choral ensembles.  More information pertaining to the Commemoration will be forthcoming.  
    • Lecture & Symposium – SRMP Campus-Wide Grant funding was provided to the Choral Project “Say Her Name,” to purchase sheet music.  The committee’s focus has been planning for and communicating with their various constituencies about the upcoming Colloquium.

    III. Other Business

    • Sign-up for April 15-16, 2021 USS Symposium hosted by Georgetown; next month Georgetown University will host the Spring 2021 Symposium.  
    • Spring 2022 USS Symposium update
    1. March 31 – April 2, 2022 proposed; Currently, the planning team is considering a Thursday through Saturday event.   This one essentially be  one day in Greensboro, a day in Winston-Salem, and the Saturday being a day to focus on Historic Sites
    • Committee on Naming
    1. An update providing the Committee on Naming was established.  There is a New website inch you can identify.  I appreciate your openness and willingness.  
  • February 28, 2022

    SRMP Steering Committee Meeting Minutes

    February 28, 2022

    Provost Conference Room 204 Reynolda

    1. Welcome to Keenon and Rais
    2. Sub-Committee Reports
      1. Lecture and Symposia – Kami Chavis

    Think of a theme for the 22-23 Academic Year with two Keynote Speakers; one in the Fall and one in the Spring Semester

    1. Enhancing Traditions – Tanya Zanish-Belcher

    Met on Friday, with a productive meeting. Remember with Us – April 27, 2022 11:45 am -12:30 pm. The event is on President Wente’s calendar as well as Dean Walton’s calendar.  Rev. Willard Bass will provide the invocation and likely the invocation.  A run of show has been created; available in the enhancing traditions folder in the SRMP Shared Drive.  

    1. Built Histories – Mary Tribble

    Julia Jackson Newsome and Dr. Wente visited the original campus.  Toured the original campus followed by the Calvin Jones House, Ailey Young House and Wake Forest Museum.  Terri Brock is currently with us a manager of archeology and research

    1. Faculty Engagement – Corey D.B. Walker

    Had a very intriguing conversation as to how we will engage with the campus community in the next 12 – 15 months both formally and informally.  We thought about having informal roundtable discussions speaking with faculty members about the incorporation of history/information that reflects the mission/vision of SRMP.  

    1. Student Engagement  – Sean McClure

    The Student Engagement Committee met earlier this afternoon.  The current student government diversity and inclusion committee members have agreed to serve on the committee as well as a graduate student from the Divinity School.  The committee will meet again next week to discuss ways in which they can engage the student body as the USS Symposium comes to campus.  

    1. Engaging Descendants

    The committee charge has been created and shared with the steering committee.  Committee members have confirmed their participation as well as Derek Hicks and Nina Lucas have agreed to co-chair this committee. 

    1. USS Conference – Mary Tribble and Corey D.B. Walker

    Steering Committee Members will be 

    March 30 – April 2, 2022

    Click Here to Register

    1. Michael Rothberg Lecture

    Michael Rothberg is a leading scholar of Memory Studies who has researched and published 

    on the Holocaust, Colonialism, and Racism in Europe, Africa, and the US.  His influential 

    comparative analysis of “multi-directional memory” has guided a generation of scholars toward comparisons across traumatic histories in order to gain deeper insight and political purchase on the present.  His new work, which will inform his talk for Wake Forest, is about how the present is inescapably implicated in the past, and he outlines a theory of the “implicated subject” for an ethics of responsibility for legacies of oppression.  Professor Rothberg’s talk for Wake Forest will help us think about our own university community’s implication in past histories of enslavement and segregation.

    March 1, 2022 via Zoom


    Click Here to Register

    1. Miscellaneous 


Stay informed of our progress and upcoming events of interest by subscribing to our mailing list.